Friday, April 4, 2025

Muturi releases 3 letters he wrote to Ruto over abductions

Author

Categories

Share


Former Public Service CS Justin Muturi. PHOTO/@HonJBMuturi/X

Former Public Service Cabinet Secretary Justin Muturi has released letters he wrote to President William Ruto over the matter of abduction and extra-judicial killing of Kenyans.

The letters which come just days after Ruto said that Muturi was incompetent and unable to handle the duties of his office as required, indicate the various times the former cabinet member requested an audience with the President and full cabinet in vain.

“There have been three cabinet meetings this year, to date; the first being on the 21st of January at Kakamega State Lodge. When I received the invitation and the agenda for the cabinet meeting, I realized that there was no agenda touching on abductions and extra judicial killings, yet even the President had on 27th December 2025 at a public rally in Homa Bay committed to ending abductions,” Muturi noted in a presser on Wednesday, April 2, 2025.

3 unanswered letters

He went ahead to reveal three letters he wrote either to the Secretary of Cabinet Mercy Wanjau or directly to Ruto, without receiving any correspondence from the head of state or Wanjau.

The first letter Muturi wrote was on Monday, January 20, 2025, indicating his intention to skip a cabinet meeting held in Kakamega. Muturi urged Ruto to place the matter of extra-judicial killings and abduction on the agenda to be discussed in the cabinet meeting.

Former CS Justin Muturi's first letter to Ruto. PHOTO/Justin Muturi
Former CS Justin Muturi’s first letter to Ruto. PHOTO/Justin Muturi

He warned that the exclusion of such a grave matter from cabinet discussions could imply complicity and insensitivity to the flagrant violations of the legal and constitutional rights of Kenyans.

He revealed that despite Wanjau informing him that the letter had been delivered to Ruto, no response was forthcoming from the head of state.

In his second letter to Ruto, which he directly wrote to him on February 10, 2025, Muturi expressly indicated from the onset that his reservations for not attending the Kakamega cabinet had yet to be addressed and for that matter, he would skip the February 11, 2025, cabinet meeting at State House, Nairobi.

“My conscience pricks me and I find it untenable for the highest decision-making organ of state to continue to sweep the matter of abductions and extrajudicial killings under the carpet,” Muturi urged Ruto in the letter.

Former CS Justin Muturi's second letter to President William Ruto. PHOTO/Justin Muturi
Former CS Justin Muturi’s second letter to President William Ruto. PHOTO/Justin Muturi

Last letter as CS

In what would be his last communication as a cabinet secretary on March 10, 2025, Muturi continued with his trend of going through the cabinet agenda and checking for the matter of extra-judicial killings and abductions.

He equally snubbed the March 11, 2025, cabinet meeting, which was held at the Nairobi State House.

“I beseech you to direct that the issue of abductions and extrajudicial killings in our country be prioritised and placed on the agenda of future cabinet meetings. Kindly accept my apologies for not attending,” Muturi implored.

Former CS Justin Muturi's third letter to President William Ruto. PHOTO/Justin Muturi
Former CS Justin Muturi’s third letter to President William Ruto. PHOTO/Justin Muturi

Speaking on Wednesday, April 2, 2025, Muturi declared that since the matter of abductions could not find its way into the cabinet agenda, it must have got the president annoyed, hinting that Ruto could be aware of the police wing carrying out the abductions.

“Since my reasons for not attending cabinet are clearly stated, the inference one draws from my sacking is that raising the issue of abductions and extrajudicial killings must have terribly annoyed the President,” Muturi said.

“It is no wonder that those closest to the President have variously been, in different fora, calling for my resignation and or sacking. From what I have stated above it is clear that what the President has said about my not attending cabinet meetings is untrue, perhaps confirming what we have been seeing on social media where people are overwhelmingly doubting what he says.”